- Is my country part of the Silk Roads?
The Silk Roads originates in East Asia, South Asia, and Southeast Asia. It then passes through the Central Asian sub-continent, the Russian steppe, the Iranian and Anatolian plateaus, and the Arabian Peninsula. It also stretches through North Africa and Northeast Africa, from Tanzania to Morocco. Moreover, it goes through Eastern and Southern Europe, before reaching France and Spain. (Please see the map here)
- How do I enter the competition?
First, visit the official website and create a profile. You must submit at least one image to enter. Afterward, you will have the opportunity to choose a maximum of 20 images that illustrate the following themes: ‘Architecture, Monuments, and Urbanism’.
Captions for each image or series of images must be included in English.
Please find further details on how to upload an image below.
- How old do I have to be to enter?
Anyone aged 14 to 25 (at the time of entry) may enter the competition in one of the two categories:
- 14 to 17 years old
- 18 to 25 years old
- Do I need my parents’ permission?
If you are under the age of 18, you will need a parent or guardian’s permission to enter the competition.
- How much does it cost to enter?
The competition is free to enter.
- When does the contest officially begin, and when is the closing date?
The contest officially begins on 5 June 2023, and entries must be submitted by 23:59:59 p.m. (GMT +1) on 5 August 2023.
- How do I upload an image?
- How many images can I upload?
You can upload a minimum of one image and a maximum of 20 images. You must enter at least one image for one of the three themes.
- How do I know if the upload worked?
After submitting your images to the website, you can review how many you have uploaded by logging into your account.
- Can I post a CD with my images or send prints of my images?
No. Images can only be submitted online by uploading a digital file.
- Can I make changes to my entry once the photos have been uploaded?
No. Once your images have been uploaded, they cannot be changed.
- What are the prizes?
- Who is judging the competition?
Entries will be judged by a Selection Committee and an Advisory Board of international photography and art experts. The judges’ decisions are final.
- How will the entries be judged?
Photographs will be judged on their originality, creativity, photographic quality and relevance to the themes: ‘Architecture, Monuments, and Urbanism’.
- When will the winners be announced?
Competition winners will be announced online on September 2023.
- Can I crop or edit my photo?
Only minor burning, dodging, cropping and/or colour correction is acceptable, and you must clearly note what changes have been made in the image description.
- What size image shall I upload?
All uploaded digital images should be at least 1.500 pixels wide (if a horizontal image) or 1.500 pixels tall (if a vertical image), and must be in JPEG or JPG format. All entrants must be able to supply a high-resolution image, suitable for printing in media or exhibition display, if selected.
- Can I use an image that I have used before?
Yes, provided that it has not won a prize in another competition.
- Can I use an image that I have submitted during the previous editions of the Youth Eyes on the Silk Roads Photo Contest?
No, participants are required to submit photos they have never submitted in this contest.
- If I have a question that is not answered above, who can I contact?
If you have any other questions about the competition, please email: SilkRoadsPhotoContest@unesco.org